The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates water quality in over 150,00 water distribution systems across the country. These water systems provide drinking water to 90% of the US Population. The remaining 10% is provided by private wells – which are not regulated.
The EPA established minimum standards in the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) to allow states to set and enforce their own standards. These minimum Standards address the following contaminants:
- Disinfectant byproducts
- Inorganic chemicals
- Organic Chemicals
For each of these contaminants, a Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG) is established. This is the lowest level of contaminant that would prevent known or expected health risks. These are NON-ENFORCEABLE health goals.
Then, considering cost and treatment technology, they establish the highest level of contaminant allowed in drinking water. These Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCL) are the levels that are ENFORCEABLE. They are higher levels than the goals that would eliminate risk. This same method of goal vs. standard-setting is used for levels of residual disinfectants in the water.
Therefore, there are contaminants in our drinking water that could pose harm to the population. Some of the population is also more vulnerable to the effects of contaminants in the water. People undergoing chemotherapy; children & infants, pregnant women & their fetuses, people with AIDS/HIV and transplant patients, are all more susceptible to water contamination.
Many people use bottled water as a safer substitute for tap water. In addition to the ongoing cost, it should also be noted that the EPA has no control over bottled water. It is regulated by the FDA and, as such, is required to meet all the same health and safety requirements as our food supply. However, the FDA does not have a mandatory testing program so is only aware of a contamination issue when it surfaces from the consumer, which leads to a recall for public safety.
Lead in the water is sometimes caused by seepage from the pipes in your home – particularly if it was built before 1986. Pipes, fittings, coatings and other fixtures can break or corrode and lead particles can end up in your water as a result.
Filtering your tap water keeps your family safe. A Reverse Osmosis (RO) system is a cost effective, easily maintained technology that is often used to accomplish this. An RO system removes:
- Some viruses
- Copper & Lead
The Reverse Osmosis system utilizes a series of filters for the water to pass through. These filters remove dirt, sand & rust; reduce chlorine odor; reduce contaminants, and improve the taste of your water. An RO system can be easily installed under your sink and maintained once each year. It not only improves the water quality in your home – it’s like having bottled water on demand!
For more information about the RO system, please call Desert Mountain Water at (602) 744-0981 or you can shop on line, using the link below.